Responsible for management of the daily operations of the Accounting Department. Responsible for supervision and training of the accounting personnel, to ensure the production of the monthly property financial reports, maintenance of adequate system of accounting records, and establish proper controls and budgets to minimize risk, ensure that financials comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Must be able to communicate effectively with AOAO boards and attend meetings to present financial information and ensure that all AOAO established financial policies and procedures are followed.
Must be results oriented, practice an involved, communicative leadership style of management, able to evaluate, plan, and direct to achieve goals and objectives, identify and solve problems through coordination and follow up. Must utilize a participatory team approach, involving the employees and department heads, and when appropriate, the Vice President of Finance.
Interfaces with other company disciplines including Property Operations, General Counsel, and Administration.
- Employee Type: Full-Time Employee
- Location: Honolulu, HI
- Pay Range: $61,250 - $74,850/salary
Corporate and Property Communications:
Must communicate with the Vice President of Finance, regularly updating the status of special projects, works in progress, owner and employee issues, and operational challenges. Must be proactive and openly communicate with corporate executives on topics relating to property/AOAO operations, finance, human resources, owner issues, and any other issues that arise which may impact the overall performance of the resort.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures. Provides accounting advice to other departments by researching and interpreting accounting policy; applying observations and recommendations to operational issues.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of the organizational structure to achieve departmentls and objectives. Achieves accounting operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, customer-service, safety, security, and health standards; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; identifying, developing, and implementing system improvements.
- Effectively lead the employees, through involved participation and effective communication. Identify challenges and opportunities and develop specific actions plans for follow up.
- Manages employee outcomes by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Regularly communicating, coaching, teaching, and counseling, develop a high level of loyalty and support towards the company.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions. Confirms financial status by monitoring revenue and expenses; coordinating the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of financial data; preparing special reports.
- Monitor and maintain adequate cash flows.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that accounts receivable is collected promptly for both rental and AOAO.
- Ensure that adequate work papers are maintained.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Ensure the issuance of timely and completed financial statements.
- Coordinate and manage the process of preparation of the annual property budgets and forecasts.
- Ensure financial plans are consistent with company goals.
- Provide financial analysis as needed for AOAO capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, and cost control.
- Coordinate the information to external Auditors for annual audits.
- Comply with state and federal reporting requirements.
- Communicate with outside banks, vendors, audit firms, insurance agents.
- Monthly P&L review with Property Managers and Executive Management.
- Protects organization value by keeping information confidential; cautioning others about potential breeches.
- Avoids legal challenges by understanding current and proposed legislation; enforcing accounting regulations; recommending new procedures.
- Improves accounting and management job knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional and technical publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Performs other duties and/or projects as required or assigned by management.
Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily to the requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Minimum bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university with emphasis in accounting. Five (5) or more years accounting management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA license not required.
Extensive knowledge of hotel accounting, operating budgets, cost analysis, sales & marketing, reservations, rooms, housekeeping & maintenance operations and food & beverage where applicable. A strategic thinker and demonstrated creativity in finding ways to meet and exceed revenue and bottom-line objectives.
Language & Communication Skills:
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read, write and interpret correspondence, reports, proposals, bids for contracts. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deliver effective oral presentations to owners and internal departments.
Must possess common sense, reasoning, and judgment ability.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 365, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have a good working knowledge of the internet and web sites.
How to Apply:
If you feel you have these qualities and would like to be considered for the position listed above, please send your resume to email@example.com.